Sunday, October 12, 2008

Soulmate

Does she exist?

But why would I consider the idea if I don't believe with it in the first place? Trust me, I don't. That is, if one will define a soulmate as the one and only other half of one's soul, for which all souls are driven to find and join. Or anything to that effect that draws definition from the mystical; a definition that has been here since Plato's time. The question, however, does not incite my personal belief rather it begs to redefine the very meaning of it. And if I were to rephrase the definition it would be like this: the one and only other half complement of one's soul, for which all souls are driven choose to find and join be in mutual union. To explain in parts:


1. complement of one's soul - does not necessarily mean compatibility; personally I believe she is someone that shall make a good monster slayer. I have a Mr. Hyde inside, a vicious monster, and I desperately need a slayer. Hmmm.. I'm looking forward to that battle soon. But the one thing I'm sure of is that she is not, and shall never be, half of my soul. The only half for that matter. Who said our souls are made in half? We were made in God's likeness and I don't think He is in half. Maybe that's the problem with some people I call 'love martyrs'; thinking that life's over if the perceived other half went gone. There is one good thing that we can learn from Narcissus: love your self first.

2. all souls choose to find - no magic; no supernatural force; no destiny. It's a choice. And if someone does not wish to embark on an odyssey, then I guess one has already chosen to cease the existence of a soulmate. So you see, there can never be another half. Just another one.

3. be in mutual union - one-way discernment shall never work. It should be mutual. I can call my all-time crush my soulmate but it just diminishes my own definition if she does not feel the same way back. She will only be a "soul" but not a "mate". See how can people misuse the term? Well, it's their choice of word as I have mine.

One will argue that the idea of a soulmate does not fall on that life's category I call love. It is just an idea that someone exists as the other half of you that sooner or later you will bump into in a place foretold by the stars. A soulmate, some say, can either be of the two natural genders. Well if that would be the other definition then I totally dismiss the idea. Yes, God created the world in pairs but that was in the beginning. Towards the end, all He wants is for us to be one community; one body (1 Corinthians 12). No need for that one and only someone (be it a girl or a boy) connected to me by a somewhat supernatural umbilical cord.

But then, I chose to personally define my soulmate as a she. And please note that it is a choice; we have been given free will. Destiny is just one of those Hollywood flicks. But then again, bells and butterflies are not all bad. Just don't get too mesmerized by them.

Come to think of it, I almost found her by way of definitions 1 and 2.

The third sucks!
GMT -3 Sao Paulo, Brazil

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is so timely.
i am reading BRIDA by Paulo Coelho --
and guess what? The book talks about: Soulmate. Here, an excerpt:

"What do you mean by soulmate?"
"In certain reincarnations,we divide into two.Our souls divide as do crystals and stars,cells and plants. Our soul divides in two,and those new souls are in turn transformed into two and so,within a few generations,we are scattered over a large part of the Earth."
"And does only one of those parts know who it is?"
"We form part of what the alchemists call the Anima mundi,the Soul of the World.The truth is that if the Anima mundi were merely to keep dividing,it would keep growing,but it would also become weaker.That is why,as well as dividing into two,we also find ourselves.And that process of finding ourselves is called Love.Because when a soul divides,it always divides into a male part and a female part."

"But how will I know who my soulmate is?"

"By taking risks. By risking failure,disappointment,disillusion, but never ceasing in your search for Love.As long as you keep looking,you will triumph in the end."

Sabeeeee?!?!?!